As I taught my biblically-based mission message, entwined with photos from Africa, I surveyed the small crowd at this Wednesday night Bible Study. It was certainly not the typical congregation that I spoken to over the years while visiting the US or Canada. It was evident in some faces that there had been some hard lives, and for some, their clothes made it clear that those hard times had continued. But, their eyes were alive as they followed every word and every picture with rapt attention. These were people who knew and loved Jesus, and His love and grace was not something to be theorized about, it was obviously something they experienced in a real way.
As I concluded my message, the Pastor stood up, indicates for me to remain standing, and said, "Thank you Dan for that inspirational message.... ...Dan still has travels in the US before returning to Africa, and we'd like to take up a love offering to help him on his way." With a few more instructions, and a chorus being sung, the offering plate begun to move through the group scattered among the pews of this North Portland church.
Suddenly, to my left, stood a young girl, about 8 years old. In her hand was a crumpled dollar bill which she handed in my direction. "This is for you," she said quietly, and then with a quivering chin continued, "It is the last money my family has."
In my mind, everything froze - all movement and music moved to the periphery of my focus. All I saw was this beautiful little girl offering, on behalf of her family, all the money they possessed. "How do I respond to that?" I asked the pastor, without him actually hearing me. Suddenly, I did the only thing that I knew I could do - I pulled that little girl into a big embrace and humbly accepted their gift.
As the service ended, I looked for the father, and as I started walking towards him, he pre-empted my conversation by saying very firmly and with conviction, "Now, you don't worry about us - God is taking care of us!" After introductions, he began to share his story. Only 3 months before he was standing on the side of a bridge preparing to jump... but couldn't do it. As he left the bridge in defeat, a young Christian couple stopped and picked him up, and in short, led him to a personal relationship with Jesus. He then shared that from that point, God began providing for his family in very miraculous ways, including 10 months of free rent. (The pastor later verified their story).
As he shared his heart, it was very obvious to me that I was in the presence of someone who knew the depth of God's grace in a way that I have only dreamed of. He had been to the end of Himself... and found there a God who knew him and loved him personally and who drew him into a new life. His face beamed with God's love and his voice resonated with the firm conviction that he was someone special in God's eyes - he was God's child.
I left that service deeply impacted - probably more than anyone else!
That night while talking to Nancy back home in Africa, I shared the story with her, and she in turn, at bedtime, shared the story with the kids. Cailin was deeply moved, and said, "Mom, I have $13... can I give it to her?" Nancy informed me, and I put the $13 into an envelope, (and some extra as well) with a long note of encouragement to the father and daughter, and left it with the Pastor to give to this family. This was a family who willingly gave everything for the sake of the Gospel, and I pray that God's blessings will be upon them.
I will never forget the little girl saying, "This is the last money my family has"... and I know that God won't forget it either.
Monday, December 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Dan - that is incredible. Thanks for sharing the story.
Post a Comment