I have been back home from my North American jaunt for exactly 6 weeks (which may be better described as a "whirlwind")! It has taken until now to be able to sit and reflect on that time, and be able to share a few thoughts about my experiences there.
My main reason for going to the US was to attend Leadership meetings at Bethany International (our Headquarters in Minneapolis). On either side of the meetings, I was able to travel to several places in order to share our vision and try to raise some much needed support. I had never been away from the family that long, but Nancy and I felt it a necessary short-term sacrifice (it didn't feel short-term in the midst of it).
In the 5 weeks, I visited: Pennsylvania, Washington DC, Virginia, Minnesota, Vancouver BC, Washington State, Oregon, California and Texas. Essentially the circumference of the USA ... and a dot in Canada. Plains, trains and automobiles truly describes how I got around the US and Canada. I had many opportunities to share our vision in many different settings! After travelling from Africa to the US, arriving in New Jersey, taking bus to Pennsylvania to stay with Roy & Kerri Goodman, I was up at 5:30 AM the next day to speak at a 6:30 AM Men's Breakfast in a restaurant. And, from there, it continued day after day, week after week preaching on Sunday mornings, Wednesday night prayer meetings, visiting with individuals in their homes or restaurants, meeting some old friends I hadn't seen in over a decade, and making many new friends along the way.
One of the ministry highlights for me was being able to preach in my brother's church in Vancouver, BC where he is the Senior Pastor. It was the first time he and I had ever been in a ministry context together! He has an amazing church - made up of such diversity, with such a strong vision to reach out it was amazing to see. But, being able to fill his pulpit for the morning was a huge honor. If you are interested, the message from that morning can be heard online at: http://www.richmondbaptist.com/grow/sermons and click on the audio link beside my name on October 18th.
There were many other highlights - too many to mention them all. But, the trip through the USA and Canada was a great opportunity to share the vision that God has given us. I am so thankful to everyone I met who took time to listen to our vision - whether in a group or one by one. Likewise, I am indebted to everyone who hosted me along the way, providing me great accommodations, food, fellowship and making me feel at home. Thank you all!
Monday, December 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment