Along the way, however, as we were speeding along this deserted stretch of highway - it is actually paved, flat, straight and in good condition - but, so few people want to go to this region, it gets relatively little use and stays in good condition - we saw a site that, though moving at 120 KMH (75 MPH), made us stop and turn around for further examination.
A bird of prey was standing alongside the road - about 35 feet back - and seemingly standing about 2 1/2 feet tall, if not taller. It was the biggest Eagle that we had ever seen!
As we turned around and approached, it hunched down, making itself appear about half the size, but in a very defensive measure, as if warning us not to come closer. Those Eagle eyes kept focused on us with a stare that could cause one to think twice about any offensive action. In his talons, we noticed, was his fresh kill - a dik dik - the smallest member of the "deer family" in all of Africa. He was going to defend his lunch!
As we moved closer his wings came out. We drove away slowly once, and he relaxed and stood to his full height - a very impressive height. But, as we drove back closer again he hunched again in his defensive pose, and held that position until our sense of intrigue was satisfied and we drove off allowing him to enjoy his lunch in peace.
After getting to our destination and looking closely at the photos, and comparing to pictures in the Birds of East Africa book that my kids gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago, which I always travel with, we discovered that the Bird of Prey we saw was the Martial Eagle - the largest eagle in all of Africa (holding the smallest deer in Africa). We've seen a lot of cool animals on this continent, and have been blessed with a lot of memorable experiences, but this one will always stand out above many of the rest.
So, what is the moral of this story? There isn't one! Any spiritual application? Not yet! I'm sure that at some point, it will come in handy in some sermon, teaching or writing... but for now, it was just a cool experience to be shared with you, our good friends.
Hope you enjoy the photo!!

3 comments:
I am a crazy raptor fan and LOVE this picture. Thanks for sharing it! I'll show it to my boys.
What an incredible bird and photo! HUGE talons! What a sight for you to see...... God is good!
I have tried ever since I got notification of your blog to access it, but today is the first day that I finally got a chance to see it. For some reason, I could not get it past my filter no matter what I tried. Anyway,good to see you all are alive and well. I am looking forward to following it more closely now.
Post a Comment