It was a simple ceremony - if you can even call it that! A few words of explanation following the morning service, by me, laying hands on my successor, prayer, and a few comments from him. Just like that, and I was no longer Mission Pastor! (This is one of the hats coming off, which is referenced in "Hat Tosses & Transitions" posted below.)
It was in the Spring of 2005, as we were preparing to leave Kenya for our furlough and education leave that the mission program in our church in Nairobi ceased to exist! It was painful watching it die slowly over the prior years. I mentioned to our pastor that I'd be willing to help rebuild the mission program upon our return from the States. I was held to that promise!! Upon our return at the end of 2006, our pastor quickly reminded me of that promise, and soon I found myself baring the title of "Mission Pastor." I told the Pastor that I was willing to hold the role for 1 -2 years until there was someone to replace me, whom I could then train in and mentor.
My first job was to build a team of church members who would form the backbone of the mission program - ones who would understand missions, understand how to engage the whole church into mission, and understand how to begin the process of engaging an unreached people group. Within three months a strong team was compiled of key leaders in the church. Planning and development processes began, a mission conference was held, and a survey trip to visit the unreached tribe we felt committed to reaching was carried forth.
Two years on, and the team is strong, committed, preparing to expand to draw others onto the team. Plans are under way with the congregation we have in another part of Kenya, that is near an unreached people group, to develop a project as an entry point to that people group. (Specifics of who or where cannot be said due to security concerns). A partnership is in the process of being developed with our home church in the US to also be involved in reaching this difficult -to-reach people group. Our second Mission Conference is only two weeks away!
Yes, progress has been made! It was in the context of these developments, of the multiplying hats on my head (see posting below), and a major reorganization in the church that I saw it was time to make a transition. The church had hired new pastors, and one of them was chosen to take the role of Mission Pastor, and I was asked to then move to serve on the Elder board. The transition between me and the new Mission Pastor is to have three phases: 1. Handover of Title, 2. Hand over of responsibility, and 3. Continued Mentoring.
Above, the handover of the title was described. The handover of responsibility is continuing, and will for the next few weeks. And then from there I will continue to mentor this young, vibrant Kenyan pastor for several months, helping to ensure that that which I helped to begin and build remains for years to come as a an instrument of the Lord towards the completion of the Great Commission.
One of my greatest joys is handing over that which I have helped to develop to others who are able to run it in the long-term. My hat's off to Pastor Patrick Wanganga! (The new Mission Pastor).
Friday, May 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment